Dear League Member and Friend,
There are usually several volunteer opportunities each week. Please go to the Participate page and then Volunteer to find opportunities.
1. Mark Your Calendar for the Next Elections in Dallas County!
- May 7 - Local and Constitutional Amendment Election (early voting begins April 26)
- May 24 - Primary Runoff Election (early voting begins May 16)
On Saturday May 7, voters will weigh in on candidates for city council and school board and also on two state constitutional amendments. Shortly before April 25, when early voting starts, Vote411.org will be populated with information on the candidates and amendments. Currently, Vote411 is live now for constitutional amendments. The rest of Dallas County’s information will be coming Monday. The same information will also be available in printed voter guides in libraries and online in PDF form. LWVD has also published a blog that you can read here.
For the Primary Runoff Election on Tuesday May 24, the same candidate information that was available for the Primary will be posted once again on Vote411.org, shortly before the start of early voting.
2. Monday, April 18 - 3:30PM - Dallas Redistricting Committee Meeting
3. Monday, April 18 - 6PM - DEI Committee Meeting
4. Wednesday, April 20 - 12PM-1PM - Dallas College District 1 Candidate Forum
5. Wednesday, April 20, 2022 - 6PM - Housing Committee Meeting
- A recent study by SMU revealed that there are 62 “infrastructure deserts” in Dallas, mainly in the southern sector. At our next meeting on April 20th at 6:00 pm, Dr. Barbara Minsker, the SMU professor who spear-headed the study, will explain her results and how we can become advocates for the additional infrastructure required for the development of sorely needed safe, decent and affordable housing. Here is the link to the study: Infrastructure Equity Survey
- Dr. Minsker is the Bobby B. Lyle Professor of Leadership and Global Entrepreneurship and Senior Fellow in the Hunt Institute for Engineering and Humanity
6. Wednesday, April 20, 2022 - 7PM - Membership Connections Meeting
- For anyone but targeted for newer members who are looking to get involved in LWVD. We would like to get to know them better and help them figure out where to get involved based on their interests
7. Saturday, April 23 - 10AM-2PM - Social Action Impact Day - Voter Registration
- We are partnering with the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority to register and educate voters at their Social Action Impact Day.
8. LWV US Convention 2022 – Save the Date! June 23 to 26, 2022 in Denver
9. LWVD is hiring!
This is a great time to be a part of our nonprofit organization with multiple elections in 2022, new elections laws, and plenty of interesting projects to support Dallas County voters and our mission! Would you, or do you know someone, who would like to work for LWVD? We are seeking a person to work in the office for 20 hours per week.
- Office location – 6060 N. Central Expressway, Suite 200, 75206 (Just behind the Beeman Hotel north of Mockingbird Station)
- Hours – 20 per week (10-3 with some flexibility). No benefits included.
- Skills needed –software: Excel, Word, Publisher and Canva. Knowledge of Hootsuite is considered a plus. Bilingual (English and either Spanish or Vietnamese) also considered a plus.
- Aptitude and attitude needed: very organized and open to learning ClubExpress and Hootsuite.
Aqsa Mohammed is currently working for us at 10 hours a week. She will be graduating from SMU this spring and has already given notice that her last day will be May 13. We would like to find someone soon to start working 20 hours per week and have time with Aqsa before she leaves.
LWV Dallas President