Dear League Member and Friend,
1. Mark Your Calendar for the Next Elections in Dallas County!
- May 7 - Local and Constitutional Amendment Election (early voting begins April 26)
- May 24 - Primary Runoff Election (early voting begins May 16)
On Saturday May 7, voters will weigh in on candidates for city council and school board and also on two state constitutional amendments. Shortly before April 25, when early voting starts, Vote411.org will be populated with information on the candidates and amendments. The same information will also be available in printed voter guides in libraries and online in PDF form.
For the Primary Runoff Election on Tuesday May 24, the same candidate information that was available for the Primary will be posted once again on Vote411.org, shortly before the start of early voting.
2. Saturday, April 2 - 10AM - LWVD Board Meeting
3. Sunday, April 3 - 8AM-12PM - ADL Walk Against Hate
Walk, register voters and provide election information to participants at the ADL Walk Against Hate. Free registration to walk.
Wednesday at Noon there are 1,200 folks signed up for this walk! We can definitely use your help.
4. Monday, April 4 - 3:30PM - Dallas Redistricting Committee Meeting
5. Tuesday & Wednesday, April 5 & 6 - Voter Registration and GOTV Volunteer Opportunities
6. Tuesday, April 12, 2022 - National Election Heroes Day
Volunteer with us.
- Elections are the backbone of our democracy. And election workers are essential workers - like nurses, grocery store workers, letter carriers, firefighters. Without them, our democracy would not function.
- During the deadly pandemic, election workers put their lives on the line to do their jobs, allowing us to cast our votes safely and securely. Then they worked overtime to count every vote so that our voices could be heard.
- We are looking for partners to take action here in Dallas. If you are interested in helping or participating please let me know
- It’s time to thank election workers - in a meaningful public way - to let them know how grateful we are for their courage and fortitude.
- We’re celebrating past, present, and future VDRs on this day. Click here for more information on the event.
- Lastly, we are looking for partners to take action here in Dallas. If you are interested in helping or participating please let me know
7. Wednesday, April 20, 2022 - 6PM - Housing Committee Meeting
- A recent study by SMU revealed that there are 62 “infrastructure deserts” in Dallas, mainly in the southern sector. At our next meeting on April 20th at 6:00 pm, Dr. Barbara Minsker, the SMU professor who spear-headed the study, will explain her results and how we can become advocates for the additional infrastructure required for the development of sorely needed safe, decent and affordable housing. Here is the link to the study: Infrastructure Equity Survey
- Dr. Minsker is the Bobby B. Lyle Professor of Leadership and Global Entrepreneurship and Senior Fellow in the Hunt Institute for Engineering and Humanity
8. LWVTX Convention 2022 Begins April 8
- LWV Dallas can send 32 delegates. Last chance to be a delegate – we have only a few slots left. Each delegate must be approved by their local chapter president. Please send me an email at email@example.com if you would like to be a delegate. Please put “LWVTX Convention delegate” in the subject line of your email.
9. LWV US Convention 2022 – Save the Date! June 23 to 26, 2022 in Denver
10. LWVD is hiring!
This is a great time to be a part of our nonprofit organization with multiple elections in 2022, new elections laws, and plenty of interesting projects to support Dallas County voters and our mission! Would you, or do you know someone, who would like to work for LWVD? We are seeking a person to work in the office for 20 hours per week.
- Office location – 6060 N. Central Expressway, Suite 200, 75206 (Just behind the Beeman Hotel north of Mockingbird Station)
- Hours – 20 per week (10-3 with some flexibility). No benefits included.
- Skills needed –software: Excel, Word, Publisher and Canva. Knowledge of Hootsuite is considered a plus. Bilingual (English and either Spanish or Vietnamese) also considered a plus.
- Aptitude and attitude needed: very organized and open to learning ClubExpress and Hootsuite.
Aqsa Mohammed is currently working for us at 10 hours a week. She will be graduating from SMU this spring and has already given notice that her last day will be May 13. We would like to find someone soon to start working 20 hours per week and have time with Aqsa before she leaves.
LWV Dallas President